Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Tale

Yes Thanks Sabrina for taking the intiative and doing this. I wanted to through out February but could not get motivated. I know I know not a good enough reason/excuse but it was mine. So here it is about to get crazy busy and I am determined to do this...here’s hoping!

For those that do not know me or know me that well... My name is Erin and I met Sabrina through the BSU my freshman year @ WKU. She was my “Aunt” and married to her now brother-in-law...only the B ;) Any who...I am a recent grad from Western and in my second year teaching Middle School FMD (Severe Special Education). Never dreamed I would a) teach FMD, b) teach middle school c) being doing both and loving it. I am single and learning to endure small town life again. There are times I love it-the relationships and closeness. And there are times I HATE it because you can’t sneeze without someone on the other end of the county saying bless you. It’s been an adjustment. :) I have within the last year found a church in Clarksville, TN and become active once again in Children’s Ministry. Let’s say this is children’s like I’ve never done before, but it is a learning experience. I have been able to use things from teaching and passed down from previous people I’ve worked with. BTW Sabrina-tell your husband thanks! :) I did learn a lot and hope to pass it on and it be accepted!

College was a chance for me to grow and grow-up in life and in faith. I too am a minister’s daughter. My father was a Baptist preacher so I understand the concept of attending church all the time. In fact I like to joke and say that I had a “drug” problem. I was drug to church Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, any VBS, any revival, and any other church event. I came to know Christ the summer before 6th grade. It was a really neat experience because my father was able to be there and baptize me. Those are awesome memories to carry with me now that my dad has passed on.

When I was in 6th grade my parents divorced. After the divorce my church habits changed. Mom still made me attend church but by the time I was in High School I had started working and did not go that often because my work schedule interfered. When I started college I was so sick of church, its politics and just the overt fake-ness I had experienced in several locations that I did not go my first semester. Second semester with the aide of Freshman Family Group’s encouragement I started back. By the summer I had gotten somewhat involved in children’s ministry. From there I dived headfirst into ministry @ the B. I did not make the smartest calls when it came to that for various reasons. I never knew one could go empty serving until that year. I was not filling up as I should because I was doing too much. After my sophomore year, I had to take a break. By that point I had switched churches and was extremely happy. This is what church is supposed to be I thought at the time. I was active in Children’s ministry and LOVING it! I was working with people that knew what they were doing and had a passion for children’s ministry. I stepped back a lot at the B and was ok with it. I found a lady at church to disciple me. As with any good thing it must come to an end. The beginning of my 5th year things started shifting. God was directing me that I should look at moving on. I of course did not listen. It took a major event to shake me and one I wish didn’t have to happen but it did and amazing things have come from it. I took this time to step back and find a place to heal and just worship. It was very needed and still a process.

Where I am: Well I tend to agree with Sarah-not really in a downward spiral but to the point where I’ve gotten complacent. The last really Bible Study I was apart of was Meredith’s in college. I miss that greatly and hopefully in the near future will have one going here. Yes I have church and Sunday School, but I miss the closeness and accountability from meeting together. I try to read at least a devotional in the morning but don’t always get to. I am hoping that with this I will be more intentional with reading and spending time with God. My devotional I am reading is My Utmost Highest by O. Chambers. It really nails you...so blogging would be a good way to share what I’m learning and just so I will have a record of it. I’m not the greatest at journalling because of the time issue. Memorizing verses is not something I have done in a while. Meredith had us working on some in Romans but I wasn’t always the best at it... :( When I do take time to read I love reading through Psalms. It has to be my favorite book of the Bible!

So I guess that’s where I am...I would love to meet but agree with Sabrina’s idea of at the beginning and end. It is harder for me to get up there. So just keep me updated and let me know. If you want to read more my Blog is Rin’s World. Sorry don’t know how to link it...and it hasn’t been updated in a while...maybe one day :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing & I look forward to getting to know you through this!

    ReplyDelete